Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bullying Doesn't Help Anyone

Hyperlink

I want to start with this clip that I found about a young boy who was made fun of for his hair color. It definitely sends a strong message to younger kids or teenagers that they need to stand up for one another. A child who is bullied needs someone to stand behind him or her for the confidence. The child who stood up for the bullied child really knew that he needed to interfere and the only way for children to learn this is by teaching them. It is our jobs, as potential teachers to show kids that they need to help each other out, despite their differences.


As for the GLSEN website, I wish more people knew about this website. I know many people must know about it, but there are plenty who need to take a look. This website, or components of it, could be taught in a classroom. It will give children an opportunity to see that there are ways to connect with people if they need the support. (If they fall into one of these categories. Or even if they don't then they can at least have hope that there is some one out there who is feeling the same way that they are.) 

I was reading this article and it is disgusting how many secondary school kids are being made fun of because of their differences. The statistics are absolutely horrifying! And it is really upsetting that the kids do not have enough confidence in their teachers to help them overcome their issue. Teachers should be there for the kids so it is the teacher's job to make sure each individual child knows that they can seek guidance from any teacher.

Once again, I feel a little naive. I do not remember too much bullying in high school. I must have been in my own world, or didn't even care if someone made a rude comment. I know that there is bullying because I watch my brother go through this in middle school and it is always tough to get past. Bullying is all about making fun of the kid who isn't the same, but I always liked to be different. Kids should embrace their individuality and the earlier they learn this in life the better.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with ya, Bullying wasn't all too popular in my high school. It did happen though and I hated it. I remember watching a kid walking out of the gym locker room and two guys like jumped him and started punching him in the back because he was gay!! I ended up pulling one off and slamming the guy in the wall. It really sucks. Bullying is such a pointless thing that people just do because they have so little faith in themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was a great little clip. Why do people have to make fun of other people for something so little? It is a part of the individual and they should not get harassed for it. Does it make people feel good to put others down? And my high school was not big on bullying either, but it definitely did happen enough for me to notice it. All of the boys who wore "tight girl jeans" got picked on all of the time. It's very sad how many people are getting made fun of and feeling so unsafe in schools. We need to be aware of this as future educators. And I totally agree with you on your last point "Kids should embrace their individuality and the earlier they learn this in life the better."

    ReplyDelete
  3. My middle school was horrible, it was bully or be bullied it seemed. I certainly fell victim to it - I was the new kid in 6th grade who was endlessy bullied and by 8th grade I was a bully. This was not over the top or to the point of physically harming yourself but it was a popularity thing that hurt just as bad. When I went into highschool I still had poor self esteem which I think has a lot to do with why kids bully. The bully's have low self esteem and can only make themselves feel good if they think they are better than someone else. This is why I think it is so important as well to address this at a young age and work on all kids being confident in themselves, confident enough that they do not have to lash out at others. I have heard my mothers generation say that they didn't really gain this confidence until their mid 40's, that is why gossip was so popular. I do see the world changing now, I see people finding this inner peace at such a younger age and that probably has a lot to do with awareness. Lets be a society that overcomes prejudice! Lets teach the next generation to not even think to call someone a bad name or to bully. We can teach them how pointless it is to bully and make the people who do bully be the ones who need the help because they must not feel good enough about themselves.
    With saying the teachers have to be responsible fully, I don't necessarily agree. I do think the teachers have to play their role but I also think the teachers need to collaborate with the guidance counselors. I hope elementary thru highschools stop singling out and trying make teachers be superhuman and really step up by hiring some EXCELLENT guidance counselors. Lets make it the teachers job to encourage and make the guidance counselor office a comfortable and great place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with you about the teachers! it's awful that kids can't go to there teachers if they need to!!! i also looked at the statistics and agree that they were horrifying!!!!!! it pretty horrifying actually i couldnt believe it! i really liked the video though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe as well that children should be able to embrace their individuality, not hide themselves because they're scared of what people will think. But, especially in this society, that's definitely easier said than done. That video is a great clip to show that everyone has someone in their life that will be there to stick up for them one day. I'm just glad we're seeing these things as future educators and we're able to tell our students that we will be there for them. - We can be those people that they know will be there for them when they need someone.

    ReplyDelete